I am always amazed at what kids can come up with as their language. After working with high school students for three years, I can usually stay on top of the current 'lingo' for todays teens, but this seems to be a fleeting talent. Yesterday as I pop into work to check on a few things, a student greets me outside my office. He informs me that he has been "postin'" in my office. As I look on my desk for a post-it note, I realize something is not right. I look at him and ask "you were doing what in my office?" With a straight face, he replies, "Postin'". "Posting?" I ask.
"Posting? haha, No Mrs. Howard, it's Postin'." Then the light goes on. "You were hanging out in my office?" "Yes, I was postin'." "Postin' is the new hanging out?"
"Yes." "Where have I been?" He non-chalauntly says "well, Mrs. Howard, you have been gone for like half the school year." In all actuality, it was only three months and part of that was Christmas break, so how could I have missed this new word? I laughed pretty hard that afternoon about this misunderstanding. My student just laughed and shook his head as though "Postin'" has been a part of the English language for decades.
2/26/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I love it! You are old! OK, so I saw 30 on my medical card the other day and thought something must be wrong?! Then i realized, oh, I am 30! Call me later, BB and I are just "postin.'"
Need not worry my friend, I have been here all year! I think they create new words spur of the moment to make us think we are "old". However, the further I get from my high school years, the more I thank God! Love you
~kendal
Post a Comment